Program Extension Request Form (Student)
Instructions to complete the form
- Fill out Page 1 and Page 2.
- Request a letter from your Academic Advisor supporting the extension. If you are a graduate student and will receive funding from your department, the amount of funding should be included in the letter (or provided in a separate letter). The letter must include the following information:
- Confirm that you are making normal progress
- List legitimate reason for the delay (such as a documented illness, change of major or research topic, or unexpected delays with thesis/dissertation research)
- Provide a new date by which you are expected to complete program requirements
- Gather proof of funding for the length of the extension, if not included in the letter from your Academic Advisor. This can be in the form of a bank statement or letter from a sponsoring agency. Contact ISSS if you are unsure how much funding you must show.
- Submit your extension request packet to the front desk in Laurel Hall or by email to email@example.com .
- If your I-20/DS-2019 is expiring but you need additional time to complete your graduation requirements, you must submit this form to ISSS before the expiration date on your current document.
- We recommend applying for an extension at least 30 days before your current I-20/DS-2019 expires.
- To be eligible for an extension, you must be maintaining your status as an F-1 or J-1 student with continuous full-time enrollment and making normal progress toward completion of your degree.
- Please allow 5-7 business days to process your request. We will email you when your documents are complete and ready for pick up.