Curricular Practical Training Form (Advisor)

Instructions to complete the form

  1. If you support the student’s curricular practical training request, complete Pages 3 and 4 of the Curricular Practical Training form and return to the student.



This form assists ISSS to adequately document that the proposed employment is in compliance with immigration regulations regarding curricular practical training (CPT). According to the regulations:

“An F-1 student may be authorized…to participate in a curricular practical training program which is an integral part of an established curriculum.” {8 CFR 214.2(f)(10)(I)}

“Integral” here is defined as employment that has a strong and measurable connection to the student’s academic program/goals. In other words, the employment must not only be related to the student’s major, but must be required for a specific course, used to earn internship or practicum credit, or facilitate the student’s successful completion of thesis or dissertation research. Please note that employment that is simply related to the major and a good opportunity does not necessarily meet the qualifications. It must be shown how the employment will contribute to the program curriculum and learning objectives. Please contact an ISSS Advisor if you have any questions.

F-1 students are required by law to pursue a full course of study while on CPT unless eligible for a reduced course load through one of the full-time exceptions.

  • Undergraduate students = 12 credits
  • Graduate students = 9 credits

A student authorized for full-time CPT may be considered to be pursuing a full course of study if the CPT is required for completion of thesis or dissertation research, or otherwise required for completion of the degree as indicated in an official university publication.

Immigration regulations do not prohibit full-time CPT for students who are still enrolled in coursework, nor do they prohibit CPT during the first year of a new degree program if students have already enrolled at a U.S. university for an academic year at another degree level (please note that time spent studying in an Academic English Program does not count toward CPT eligibility). However, please use your discretion to ensure that this CPT opportunity will not adversely affect normal academic progress, prior academic commitments, or performance, especially for graduate assistants.

Additional Information

  • CPT is work authorization for F-1 international students to receive further training that is directly related to their degree level and major. CPT authorization is dependent upon the student being academically eligible and the employment meeting federal government regulations.
  • F-1 students must apply for CPT authorization if they intend to work off-campus as an integral part or planned option of their established curriculum, prior to completion of their academic program, whether or not they will receive any form of payment or compensation.
  • ISSS determines eligibility for and authorizes the CPT employment. A student authorized for CPT may only be employed by a specific employer, at a specific location, and for specific dates as approved by ISSS. Any changes in the employment (i.e. employer, location, dates of employment) will require a new CPT application.
  • Students may begin employment only after receiving authorization that will be recorded on a new Form I-20. Students cannot begin working until authorized by ISSS on Page 2 of their I-20 and the start date on Page 2 of their I-20 has arrived. Students must stop working by the end date of their authorization or upon changing or terminating their employment.