Change Education Level

Instructions to complete the form

  1. Fill out all of the fields that contain an asterisk.
  2. If you plan to travel outside the U.S. between semesters, it is important that you provide accurate travel dates and shipping address so that ISSS can do our best to ensure you have your new I-20 before you return to the U.S.
  3. You will need to upload proof of funding—bank statement, CSU award letter, or letter from a sponsoring agency—dated within 12 months of the start of your new program that meets the minimum expenses for that program.
  4. Once you have completed the e-form, click “Submit.” You will be contacted by ISSS if we need any additional documents and when your new I-20 has been created.


Click here to view a preview of the e-form.

You cannot submit the preview form. If you would like to submit the actual form, click here.


When to fill out this form

  • This form is to be used if you are an international student on an F-1 visa who is changing educational levels within CSU (for example, Pathway to Undergraduate student or Undergraduate to Master’s student).
  • By completing this form, you are requesting to receive a new I-20 to reflect your new program of study at CSU.
  • You must submit this packet so you can receive a new I-20 within 60 daysof completing your old program.

Meeting your immigration requirements

  • To maintain your F-1 visa status, you must do the following when you arrive for your new degree program:
    • Complete Immigration Document Review online (INTO to CSU Change of Levels only)
    • Attend CSU International Student Orientation (INTO to CSU Change of Levels only)
    • Be registered as a full-time student
      • Undergraduate = 12 credits per semester
      • Graduate and PhD = 9 credits per semester

Other considerations

  • If you are traveling between programs, please be aware that once your new I-20 has been processed, you will need to use it to re-enter the U.S. Plan ahead!
  • Please note that some students traveling with a Change of Level I-20 have had a difficult time getting back into the U.S. because Customs and Border Protection was not able to see the new program in their database. When you make your travel arrangements, give yourself sufficient time at the airport in case you are delayed going through customs, and carry the contact information of ISSS with you.
  • You will not need to apply for a new F-1 visa when requesting a change of level unless your visa has already expired and you plan to travel outside of the U.S. Your current F-1 visa will remain valid until its expiration date.
  • You will not need to pay the SEVIS fee again.