Arrive in the United States


Make sure to carry your original I-20 or DS-2019 and passport with you on your flight, not in your checked luggage! We also recommend traveling with this card in the event you need to contact our office.

At the Port of Entry

Proceed to the terminal area for arriving passengers and present the following documents:
1. Passport
2. Immigration documents (I-20 or DS-2019)
3. Customs Declaration Form completed with the address where you will live, not the address of the school or program.
*We recommend taking a photo of your Passport ID and visa pages and immigration documents so you have a copy on your phone in case of emergency.

*If the officer needs to verify information with your school, contact our office at (970) 491-5917. In case of an urgent after-hours situation, our staff can be paged hours by calling (970) 491-6425.

Review the Study in the States and Pre-Arrival information on arriving in the U.S. for additional travel information.

Transportation from Airport to CSU

Visit the Transportation Page for more information on Airport Transportation

Complete Immigration Document Review

All new international students must complete a mandatory Immigration Document Review. Failure to complete this requirement will result in serious immigration consequences. You can now complete this requirement online, but please do not attempt to fill out the form until after you are physically in the United States.

Before beginning the process, make sure you have the following documents and information ready:

  • CSU eID and password
  • Passport
  • U.S. visa, including your most recent U.S. entry stamp
  • Immigration document: I-20 or DS-2019
  • Name and address of an emergency contact in the U.S. and/or your home country
  • Your local U.S. address & phone number (the address where you are currently staying, even if a temporary address, like a hotel or homestay).
  • Documents for each of your dependents:
    • Passport
    • U.S. visa, including their most recent U.S. entry stamp
    • DS-2019, if you are a J-1 student

If you are in the United States and ready to begin, click here to fill out the immigration document review form.

Attend International Student Orientation


All fully-admitted international students are required to attend international student orientation, a mandatory program designed to assist you with your transition to CSU. You will attend a specific orientation program based on your degree level at CSU. Learn more about the programs at the links below:

Graduate Student Orientation

Undergraduate Student Orientation

INTO CSU Orientation

Get Your RamCard

Your RamCard serves as your student ID. Use it to check out library books, access dorms and dining centers, use the recreation center, ride the bus for free, attend athletic events, and even add RamCash for use at participating vendors.

Get your RamCard

Arrange Banking

First National Bank is the official banking partner of Colorado State University, and is the only bank with a branch and ATMs located on campus. Many other banks are available in town, and almost all offer a debit card and your first set of checks for free.

To open a bank account, international students must walk into the bank in person. First National Bank is located in the main level of the Lory Student Center. No appointments are necessary; simply say you would like to open an account. Bring your CSU ID number, passport, and I-20 or DS-2019. They will assist you with transferring money from your home country to deposit into your new account.

Chase Bank
2000 S. College Ave.
(970) 622-7603

First Bank
100 S. College Ave.
(970) 493-2600

Key Bank
300 W. Oak St.
(970) 495-3331

US Bank
400 S. Howes St.
(970) 493-5506

Wells Fargo
401 S. College Ave.
(970) 490-6275

Learn about Health Insurance

International students, scholars and their dependents are required to have health insurance.

Watch this video to learn about the Health Care System in the US, and why health insurance is necessary:

Video courtesy of International Student Insurance.

CSU Health Insurance

All International Students who are enrolled at Colorado State University are required to maintain health insurance, and are automatically enrolled in the CSU Student Health Insurance Plan each semester. Each semester, the premium cost will be billed to your student account. Coverage begins on the Monday before classes start (the day before Orientation) and lasts until the next semester’s coverage begins. For more information on this requirement, including coverage dates, premium costs, and lots of other information about the benefits of your plan, please visit the International Student Health Insurance webpage from the CSU Health Network.

NOTE: International students belong to a different group plan than American students for their student health insurance.  If you were billed for the domestic student rate, but believe that you should be billed the international student rate for health insurance, please meet with someone in the Office of International Programs to resolve this issue.  Please note that charges from a previous semester cannot be modified.

Non-CSU Health Insurance

To opt-out of the CSU Student Health Insurance Plan, students must demonstrate proof of comparable coverage via the Insurance waiver process (instructions found on the International Student Health Insurance Waiver webpage).  The deadline to submit a waiver request is by the 10th day of classes.

You will automatically be billed the CSU insurance if you do not complete the waiver or if your requested insurance is not comparable to the CSU insurance standards. Dependents are also required to have medical insurance, but are not eligible for CSU health insurance.

Insurance for Dependents

Dependents of international students and scholars are also required to have adequate health insurance. However, CSU no longer offers the option of enrolling spouses, dependents, or domestic partners in the CSU Student Health Insurance Plan. Please look through this list of alternative health insurance services for any family members who will be attending with you.

University Policy

The following is the official University policy regarding health insurance for students and their dependents as issued by the Governing Board of Colorado State University:

August 16, 1978

“All non-immigrant students and accompanying dependents are required to enroll in the Student Health Service’s insurance program (or to show proof of equivalent protection).”

May 22, 1968:

“All full-time, alien students will be required to have reasonable and adequate insurance protection against illness, accident, hospitalization, and death.

The University will negotiate a group insurance policy each year to provide for current minimum standards of protection. Students who document proof of equivalent protection may be exempted from payment of premiums for the University group plan. All other alien students will be assessed the premium from the group plan at the time of payment of tuition and fees.

Providing documentary proof of equivalent insurance coverage is the responsibility of the student. The responsibility of ruling as to equivalency rests with the University.”

If you have any questions about insurance may contact the Student Health Insurance Office at (970) 491-1355.

Submit Health History Forms

Submit your Health Records

Before you can register for your second semester classes, you are required to submit a health history form and email all previous immunization records to Your records must show proof of immunity against measles (two doses), mumps (two doses), and rubella (two doses). If you are missing any, you will have the opportunity to receive these shots at the CSU Health Center during Orientation.

For more information, review the Immunization section of the CSU Health Network website, and the New Student Checklist for the CSU Health Network.

Sign up for the International Info Newsletter

Sign up for the International Info newsletter to learn about the activities, events & programs being offered to the international community at CSU. Emails will be sent about once a week. You may learn more about the events and programs offered specifically to international students on our webpage.

Buy your Textbooks

Once registered for classes, log on to Canvas and look at the syllabus for each of your classes. The syllabus will provide a list of the textbooks you will need. Remember to budget for the high cost of textbooks, and look for previously-used textbooks.

The CSU Bookstore, in the lower level of the Lory Student Center, has both new and used textbooks. Online resources like Chegg and Amazon have both new and used textbooks for purchase or rental, but make sure you will get them in time for the start of your class.