H-1B Information

The H-1B is a non-immigrant visa category provided for in the Immigration & Nationality Act, section 101(a)(15)(H) that allows American companies and universities to temporarily employ foreign workers who have the equivalent to a US Bachelor’s Degree. H-1B employees are employed temporarily in a job category that is considered by the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services to be a “specialty occupation”. A specialty occupation is one that requires theoretical and practical application of a body of specialized knowledge along with at least a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent. For example, architecture, engineering, mathematics, physical sciences, social sciences, medicine and health, education, business specialties, accounting, law, theology, and the arts may be considered to be specialty occupations.

At Colorado State University, H-1B workers are typically postdoctoral researchers or tenure track faculty. Consult with ISSS if you have questions. Departments may consider H-1B status for a scholar if:

  • The scholar will be employed by the University
  • The appointment will be long term or possibly permanent
  • If the scholar would otherwise be subject to the 2 year home residence requirement as a J-1 scholar.

An Overview of CPT, OPT, and H-1B

H-1B Request Packet