Estimated Expenses To Attend CSU

Estimated CSU tuition and fees, living and personal expenses, and expenses for dependents.

Estimated CSU expenses for Doctor of Veterinary Medicine Students.

**New: You may pay your 2018-2019 bill in elective monthly instalments with the CSU payment plan. Admitted students may begin paying their bill for the fall 2018 term as early as March 2018.

You may also use the CSU Tuition and Fees Calculator, based on your program of study and personal demographics, to estimate your expenses.


First National Bank is the official banking partner of Colorado State University, and is the only bank with a branch and ATMs located on campus. Many other banks are available in town, and almost all offer a debit card and your first set of checks for free.

To open a bank account, you must walk into the bank in person. First National Bank is located on the 200 Level of the Lory Student Center next to the Ram Card office and the CSU BookStore. No appointments are necessary; simply say you would like to open an account. Bring your CSU ID number, passport, and I-20. They will assist you with transferring money from your home country to deposit into your new account.

Wire Transfers

Make payments to Colorado State University easily and securely through Western Union electronic payments. This is the easiest way to pay your CSU bills.

Financial Aid for International Students

Minimal scholarship aid is available to international students, and most of it is offered by individual departments for graduate study. You may be eligible for some CSU Scholarships, or possibly outside scholarships like IEFA or See below for more outside financial aid resources.

Financial Aid for International Students

Loans for International Students

Scholarships for International Students

Specifically for Undergraduate International Students

NAFSA has created some useful resources for international students searching for scholarships.

Income Tax Information

Income taxes are often complicated even for those native to the United States, so the ISSS team has worked to bring you the following resources. International student advisors and staff at CSU do not have the proper training or legal authority to offer direct assistance with the completion of tax returns, but we can provide you the resources below.

Who must file taxes?

Almost every international student, scholar and family member must file a reporting form, even if no income was earned in 2018. You must file the IRS Form 8843 if you are in status as a:

  • F-1 or F-2
  • J-1 or J-2
  • M-1 or M-2
  • Q-1 or Q-2

If you did earn income in the U.S. in 2018, you must also file federal and state tax returns.  Income may include wages, scholarships, fellowships, graduate assistantships, etc. Nonresidents who received U.S. source income during the tax year should file either 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ by April 15, 2019. Individuals with tax treaty benefits or otherwise expecting to receive Form 1042-S from CSU should wait until that form is received in mid-March before attempting to prepare a tax return.

How do I file taxes?

We encourage you to try filing your taxes yourself, through the following free and easy-to-use software. As a service to all international students and scholars associated with Colorado State University, ISSS has purchased a license so that you can use GLACIER Tax Prep international tax preparation software  to prepare your U.S. income tax return at no cost. We encourage you to try preparing your tax forms yourself through this free and easy-to-use software.

You will need these Documents and Information:

Please make sure you have the following documents and information available BEFORE you log into GLACIER Tax Prep:

  • Visa/Immigration Status information
  • Passport
  • Form DS-2019, if J status individual
  • Form I-20, if F status individual
  • Social Security or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (if you have been assigned one)
  • Address Information (i.e., Current U.S. and Foreign Address)
  • U.S. Entry and Exit Dates for current and past visits to the U.S.
  • Academic Institution or Host Sponsor Information (name/address/phone for Academic Director)
  • Forms W-2, 1042-S and/or 1099 (if you received any)
  • Scholarship/fellowship grant letter you may have received (if any); and A copy of your last year’s federal income tax return (Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ), if you filed a federal income tax return last year.

How Do I Access GLACIER Tax Prep?

You may access GLACIER Tax Prep from any computer with internet access from anywhere in the world! GLACIER Tax Prep is accessed online at by entering your User ID and Password from last year or creating a new account.  Individuals who used GLACIER Tax Prep last year can use the same User ID and Password and retrieve a copy of last year’s return.  If you are new to GLACIER Tax Prep, you will be prompted to enter the CSU common access code. The ISSS Office at CSU will make the common access code available by mid-February. Please email if you need the code.  After accessing the system, you will create your own unique User ID and Password. Individuals should use the common access code only once.  In order to access the system again later, individuals should use their own User ID and Password.  After completing your tax forms, be sure to print the forms and the instruction sheet which will indicate the correct mailing address for your forms.  E-filing is not available through GLACIER Tax Prep.

If you return to GLACIER Tax Prep to modify or reprint your tax return, please use your unique User ID and Password to enter the system. Please do not enter the common access code.

To ensure that your income tax return information remains private and secure, DO NOT share your Password or UserID with anyone.

How Can I Get Help?

If you need the Common Access Code, contact ISSS by email at If you need assistance with GLACIER Tax Prep, click on the help button on any screen; Online Help will provide specific information relating to the topic on that page.

Additional Assistance

VITA volunteers will be providing free U.S. federal and state income tax assistance by appointment for nonresident and resident foreign students, teachers, researchers and their immediate family members.  Appointments will be scheduled between the hours of 9:00 AM until 1:00 PM Tuesdays, February 6, 2018 through April 10, 2018 at the Aggie Family Apartments, Building 24, 500 W. Prospect Rd, Fort Collins.  Limited parking is available. Appointments may be scheduled by contacting August (Gus) Eykholt by phone (970-667-4936) on any day except Tuesdays.

Useful IRS Forms & Publications

Tax information for Foreign Students and Scholars

International Revenue Service