Completing the Reduced Credit Load Form (J-1 Student)
Instructions to complete the e-form
- Scroll down to the bold heading “Student Information.” Fill in all of the required fields, marked with an asterisk (*).
- Describe your situation or the reason for which you are requesting a reduced credit load in the box provided above the bold heading “Signature.”
- When you click “Submit,” your e-form request will be automatically emailed to your academic advisor for review. Your part of the process is complete, but you will need to wait to drop below full time until the e-form has been approved by both your academic advisor and ISSS.
You can click here to see a preview of the form.
8 C.F.R. § 214.2(f)(6)(i)(A)-(E)
International students must carry a full academic course load each semester in order to maintain J-1 immigration status.
- Undergraduate Students: Must carry a minimum of 12 credits per semester (fall/spring) to be considered full time. All 12 of these credits must be on campus or resident instruction (RI) courses. For immigration purposes, courses offered through CSU Online or with a section number between 400 and 499 will not count toward the RI minimum.
- Graduate Students: Must carry a minimum of 9 credits per semester (fall/spring) to be considered full time. All 9 of these credits must be on campus or resident instruction (RI) courses. For immigration purposes, courses offered through CSU Online or with a section number between 400 and 499 will not count toward the RI minimum.
There are very few exceptions for students to drop below full time, and not all options are available to all students. A student who feels they cannot maintain a full course of study may request a reduced course load (RCL) if the reason meets the criteria outlined in the Qualifying Exceptions below. A request for a reduced course load must be supported by the student’s academic advisor or licensed medical professional and authorized by International Student and Scholar Services BEFORE dropping any classes. Failure to do so will affect your immigration status.
Bona Fide Academic Reason
- A Bona Fide Academic Reason RCL can only be granted once per educational/degree level. If you have already been granted an RCL for a Bona Fide Academic Reason (even at another school) at the current academic level, you cannot be approved for another Bona Fide Academic Reason RCL.
- You must still be enrolled for a minimum of 6 credits for undergraduates or 5 credits for graduates.
- Your academic advisor must submit documentation substantiating the academic reason.
- Students who are granted an RCL for a Bona Fide Academic Reason are expected to resume a full course of study in the next available semester (with the exception of the summer term).
- Non-degree students are not eligible for a Bona Fide Academic Reason RCL.
- Final semester of required coursework and taking all available courses to meet graduation requirements (please note: non-degree students are not eligible for a final semester RCL)
- Completed required coursework and preparing for comprehensive examination (graduate students only)
- Completed required coursework and working on thesis/dissertation (graduate students only)
- Students registered for Continuous Registration (CR), who are working on their thesis/dissertation, are considered to be carrying a full academic load and can be authorized for an RCL. Students who have been approved for an RCL for thesis/dissertation do not need to submit another form each semester. The approval will continue through the student’s graduation or until the end date of the student’s current DS-2019 (whichever comes first).
- Students applying for a program extension who need the reduced credit load to continue will have to submit a new Reduced Credit Load form with their program extension request.
- Please fill out and submit the paper-based medical Reduced Credit Load form instead.
- You may request a reduced credit load due to a temporary illness or medical condition. It is limited to a period of time not to exceed a total of 12 months, at each degree level. Requires a signature from a licensed medical doctor or clinical psychologist and recommendation of the number of credits the student should take. You must be re-authorized for the Medical RCL each semester that it applies.
- J-1 Students cannot count online courses toward the full course of study requirement. However, coursework taken in addition to the minimum number of credits may be online.
- Audited courses do not count toward the full course of study requirement.
- Students who are sponsored, on exchange, or on scholarship may have additional expectations or requirements. It is the student’s responsibility to check in with their sponsor, home institution, or scholarship provider to identify if they have minimum credit requirements to maintain their status in these programs.
- You will be asked whether you have met with an immigration advisor and an academic advisor. You are not required to select “yes” to either of them and your answer will not have any impact on your e-form. However, if your situation is complex, ISSS recommends meeting with an immigration advisor and your academic advisor to make the process more efficient and prevent misunderstandings.
- You will receive an email from ISSS once your Reduced Credit Load has been approved. Do not drop below full time until you have received final approval from ISSS.